Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Transition

I’ve heard the term “Quarterlife Crisis” before, and I even own a book by that title, but I feel like I am finally experiencing it. It’s not something that I’ve looked forward to, or even thought possible, but welcome to my world.
I’m not the typical college about-to-be graduate. I’m 26 and finally getting my Bachelor’s degree in May. I took a break from school after my sophomore year and decided to move to Colorado from Wisconsin. In the last four years I’ve worked a full time job, skied more runs than some people do in a lifetime, met some fabulous people and am now finishing college. But with everything that I’ve experienced in this state, nothing makes me more nervous than graduating. I’ve been a student for so many years that the thought of not enrolling in classes in the fall makes me a little anxious. Questions fill my head, “Did I just experience my last spring break? Will I get a job when I graduate? What will I do this summer without an internship?” I haven’t lived the stereotypical college life that includes living in the dorms for at least a year (I only lasted one semester), spring break where my four closest girlfriends and I pack a tiny car with enough luggage to last us a month and head to Florida for the week. I have only been to a few Frat parties and I will regret for the rest of my life not studying abroad for a semester.
But I do have life experience that some of my fellow graduates may not have. I now understand what I’m capable of, what I will not tolerate and what is worth worrying about. I’ve made a life for myself in a state where I didn’t know anybody except the boyfriend I moved out here with. Nothing was more intimidating than my first night in Colorado, standing on my porch overlooking the city and realizing that only one person in the whole city knows my name. I witnessed my mom battle breast cancer and win. I stood by a few friends that I’ve known since elementary school while they got married. I made toasts at their weddings and now I’m standing by one of them again while she struggles with divorce. I’ve corresponded with another friend who is living in Morocco for the Peace Corps and I’ve watched a few of my friends with their newborn children. I’ve also had some great travels for a college student.
Even with all the uncertainty that comes with graduating school, sending out resumes in hopes that someone will hire me, and waiting to discover my next big adventure, I can rest easy with the experiences I’ve had in my life so far. I may not know what I’m doing in four months, but I feel great about where I’ve been in the last four years. If my past is any indication of how I will handle my future, I know that everything will be fine.